[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 23:31:46 EDT 2006

You assume, I guess - though you didn't spell it out, that the Greek
παρθένος PARQENOS means "virgin." In classical Greek, the word does
*not* mean "virgin." It is a common word for "girl," nearly synonymous
with the κόρη KORH. According to the classical definition, the Greek
PARQENOS and the Hebrew עלמה (LMH have nearly the same semantic range.

The question is what the LXX translator intended. Did he intend the
reader to take PARQENOS as "maiden" or "girl" per the older meaning,
or did he intend the meaning "virgin" -- which was taken from a more
religious sphere, as it refered to the Vestal Virgins (who were really
no virgins at all).

My own supposition is that the translator of the LXX did *not* intend
PARQENOS to be understood as "virgin." And the fact that they used
that term does not indicate their belief or disbelief in any "virgin
birth." The term is far more flexible that this.

Shalom,
Yonah