[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Sat Oct 14 18:35:17 EDT 2006

Schmuel wrote:

>> K Randolph wrote:
>>> LXX was irrelevant to the founding of Christianity and the writing of the New Testament.
>
> Harold Holmyard,
>> HH: What do you mean when you say this? It is obvious that the NT quotation of many OT verses
>> follows the LXX wording exactly or almost exactly.

> Steven: An easier general explanation for the verses in question -
>
> The Greek OT was 'smoothed' by low-quality scribes between 100 AD to 500 AD
> to be closer to the NT - by scribes who simply could not leave midrash alone :-)

HH: Let me add to what I said that translation is
a very flexible undertaking. The same words in
Hebrew can be translated many ways into English,
as is apparent from the many Hebrew Bible
translations that exist today. The same is no
doubt true with Greek, as is somewhat demonstrable
from the various remains of ancient Greek
translations of the OT that we have. One set of
Hebrew words could engender a wide variety of
Greek verbal and syntactical choices. The fact
that the NT matches the LXX in so many places
would imply a massive alteration of the LXX text
to conform it to the NT. It would not be a small
project.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard