[b-hebrew] Septuagint vs Hebrew, effect on Christianity

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 13:40:57 EDT 2006

I know it's not foolproof, but the NA27 Greek-English New Testament
puts a mark by the verses that resemble the LXX (at least as we have
it). The most striking use of the LXX in the NT is in the book of
Acts, where Stephen is giving his speach and mentions that Jacob's
family came down into Egypt, and their number was 75. The Hebrew Bible
says 70. The Septuagint says 75. This is in Acts 7:14.

Genesis 46:27 (LXX)
... Πᾶσαι ψυχαὶ οἴκου Ἰακὼβ, αἱ εἰσελθοῦσαι μετὰ Ἰακὼβ εἰς Αἴγυπτον,
ψυχαὶ ἑβδομηκονταπέντε
... PASAI YUCAI OIKOU IAKWB hAI EISELQOUSAI META IAKWB EIS AIGUPTON
YUCAI hEBDOMHKONTAPENTE
... All the souls of the house of Jacob, who went into Egypt with
Jacob, [were] 75 souls.

Genesis 46:27 (MT)
כל הנפש לבית יעקב הבאה מצרימה שבעים ...
... KL HNP$ LBYT Y(QB HB)H MCRYMH $B(YM
... All the soul(s) belonging to the house of Jacob that came down to
Egypt [were] 70.

At least this is interesting, don't you think?

Yonah