[b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Mon Oct 9 18:59:53 EDT 2006

You mean "nokri". This is an adjective meaning "foreign" - look at Ex. 21:8.
Obviously anyone who is a foreigner is not an Israelite and is by definition
a "heathen" - but that is not the basic meaning of the word. And yes, it is
used in that way in modern Hebrew, although "zar" - "stranger" would be more
common.

Yigal