[b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 20:34:53 EDT 2006

On 10/7/06, Peter Kirk wrote:

> Vadim, your idea of science is very limited. This is not how science
> works. The "speed of light" limit is not an experimental one but a
> theoretical one.

Actually, the idea of the speed of light as a limit is in some ways
supported by one of the early experiments that led to the theory
of relativity, performed already in the 19th century:
http://scienceworld.wolfram.com/physics/Michelson-MorleyExperiment.html
As you might see from the Lorentz equation, for v to be greater than c,
would imply that the "contracted length" is an imaginary number.  The
equation, developed as a result of the experiment, therefore suggests that
the magnitude of a particle's velocity cannot exceed the speed of light.

As for the wayyiqtol discussions here, between George, and Rolf and
others, and also regarding the SBH/LBH concepts, list readers might
be interested in reading up on recent discussions at the ANE list,
which dealt with Rolf's theories, and other topics of interest to b-hebrew
readers: