[b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Sat Oct 7 14:54:28 EDT 2006

Dear Sujata,

In the Hebrew of the Tanakh, "goy/goyyim" and "(am/(ammim" are practically
synonomous, both meaning "nation/s" or "people/s", including Israel. There
is probably a small difference in meaning, but that's hard to tell.
However, during the Second Temple period, Jews began using the term "goyyim"
specifically to denote non-Jews, i.e. "Gentiles". This usage persists to
this day, and influenced early Christian interpretation, as well as the KJV.

Yigal Levin