[b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 13:12:29 EDT 2006

Peter:

On 10/6/06, Peter Kirk <peter at qaya.org> wrote:
> On 06/10/2006 21:51, K Randolph wrote:
> > Peter:
> >
> > I expect that the meaning of the term should answer for the unusual
> > form. The basic meaning of YLD is "to bring forth, out: not only to
> > bear, give birth, but also to bring forth one's history, present
> > oneself to an authority, to produce" as I list it. Giving birth is
> > only the most common usage of the term.
> >

> Are there other examples of YLD qal with a non-female subject? I don't
> have the books to hand to check this just at the moment.
>

> --
> Peter Kirk
> E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
> Blog:    http://speakertruth.blogspot.com/
> Website: http://www.qaya.org/

I just checked my copy of Lisowski's concordance (which lists common
verbs according to Qal, Niphal, etc.), and already in Genesis 4, even
in the context of bringing forth children, the fathers were listed as
bringing forth sons. Again in chapter 6. In a quick spot check of a
few of over 200 occurrences in Qal brought out a few examples of use
other than giving birth, e.g. "what the day will bring forth" in
Proverbs.

Karl W. Randolph.