[b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Sat Oct 7 01:44:08 EDT 2006

Dear Peter,

Time and again it has been demonstrated that we live in two different
linguistic worlds. So I see no purpose in a discussion between us. However,
you challenge my statement that it is a fact that WAYYIQTOLs did not exist
before the Masoretes. I will comment on that.

A WAYYIQTOL is by definition a prefix form with patah and gemination (or
vowel lenthening i 1. p. s). It is *a fact* that such forms are not found
before the Masoretes. About 23% of all WAYYIQTOLs in the MT are apocopated.
These are particularly found among hiphils and lamed he verbs. The problem
for those using apocopation as an indetification of WAYYIQTOLs is that a
great number of WEYIQTOLs are apocopated as well. So, when a prefix form in
unpointed texts is preceded by a WAW, there is no way to identify it as
anything but a conjunction. So, it is *a fact* that  there are no proofs
that
WAYYIQTOLs existed before the Masoretes. I did not discuss speculation and
beliefs; I discussed morphological evidence.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo