[b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton

Chris and Nel wattswestmaas at eircom.net
Fri Oct 6 13:59:10 EDT 2006

Peter,
I see that it also occurs in Jeremiah 2:27 and 15:10.  Also YaRaSH and ShaAL
do the same but these latter two can be explained since they have forms with
the sere in the middle root letter.  So the last two I am not worried about,
what intrigues me is that we must remember that those grey-headed bearded
7th or 8th century masoretes were deliberately telling us all that this is
how these verbs were pronounced then! -- deviating from the normal expected
rythm of a qal perfect transitive in the peh vav conjugation.  Gesenius's
reasoning that this attenuation might be explained from the tendency to
assimilate vowels especially if the initial 'yod' with shewa was pronounced
as in syriac like 'i', does not add up in THIS particular case.  I have
another theory that was in part inspired by something that you said below.
Could it also be?? - that

Peter Kirk wrote:

This looks an interesting case. Numbers 11:12 is similar, but the other
3 examples of YLD qal perfect first person singular have the expected A
vowel. What is odd about Psalm 2:7 and Numbers 11:12 is that the subject
is male. Normally when the subject is a father rather than a mother YLD
is used in the hiphil, which would the I vowel in the second syllable,
but an O vowel in the first syllable. I wonder if this odd form is some
kind of cross between qal and hiphil, introduced perhaps to avoid the
strange idea of a male mother?

Peter Kirk