[b-hebrew] Use of Gentile/Heathen People or nation?

Seth Knorr ftbaccounts at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 6 11:43:34 EDT 2006

My question is in regards to "am" (cf. Daniel 8:24) and "goee" (cf. Leviticus 25:44).

These both seem to denote people or nation.

However, in the KJV "am" is generally translated as (men, nation, people), where as "goee" in the KJV is generally translated as (Gentile, heathen, nation, people).

In the Tenach I read, "goee" is almost always translated generically and as far as I saw, is never translated Gentile or heathen.

Is the KJV adding to the meaning of "goee" when it uses words like "Gentile" or "Heathen"? Or is the meaning based solely on the context.

My main question is this, is "am" generally in reference to Israel, where as "goee" is generally used in reference to non-Israelites or gentiles. Is this correct or wrong?

It seems like that is generally the case, but is this just a coincidence or on purpose?

Thanks for any feedback,

Sincerely,

Seth Knorr