[b-hebrew] YaLaD - he begot, has begotton

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Oct 6 06:29:57 EDT 2006

On 04/10/2006 23:56, Chris and Nel wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> YeLiDTiCHa (Psalm 2:7)
>
> This is not a stative verb by definition, yet it behaves like one in
> conjugation with suffixes, its hireq under the second root letter shortened
> from sere, a middle E or O in the qal being intransitive by nature..
> (according to both Davies and Samuel Tragelles quoting on gesenius, who says
> that there is no need for this). Why was this verb then so pronounced, so
> pointed by the masoretes instead of say like the verb YeDaTiCHa (I know
> you)? I see no reason
> for the logic in the deviation from the expected pronounciation.

This looks an interesting case. Numbers 11:12 is similar, but the other
3 examples of YLD qal perfect first person singular have the expected A
vowel. What is odd about Psalm 2:7 and Numbers 11:12 is that the subject
is male. Normally when the subject is a father rather than a mother YLD
is used in the hiphil, which would the I vowel in the second syllable,
but an O vowel in the first syllable. I wonder if this odd form is some
kind of cross between qal and hiphil, introduced perhaps to avoid the
strange idea of a male mother?

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/