[b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Fri Oct 6 10:19:02 EDT 2006

Hi George,

Your last line catches my eye, "Just goes to show that Wayyiqtol can't
really represent consecutive action."

Actually, Gen 2:25 doesn't *show* anything about whether wayyiqtol, as a
form, represents consecutive action.  You began with an idea about what
the verse means, and then you read the wayyiqtol accordingly.  I do the
same thing.  And it's fine that we read the wayyiqtol differently, as
long as we realize we are doing it and representing ourselves honestly.

We are going to have a very hard time "showing" to everyone's
satisfaction that wayyiqtol means a certain thing.  Such is the
imperfect (excuse the pun) nature of our knowledge of BH.

Shalom,
Bryan

--
B. M. Rocine