[b-hebrew] English term for Hebrew grammatical term?

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Wed Oct 4 17:24:17 EDT 2006

Dear Rivka,

> This is the dagesh in words like eille (these), henna (hereto), lamma
> (why, what for). The term used in Gesenius (#20k) is dagesh forte
> FIRMATIVUM. I was hoping that there is a more “popular” term that can be
> readable/pronounceable by lay people.  Do you (or someone else) know of
> such term?

HH: Thanks for answering my question. No, I don't
know of any other name. If it will do any good,
here is some data from an online Latin dictionary
about the Latin word. Perhaps you could use one of
the English verbs in an -ed form, like
"strengthened." "Strengthened" is the word that
GKC #20k uses to describe this dagesh's function.

iv                   SUFFIX

-ive, -ed; having the passive tendency; having
been ...-ed;

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 NOM S N POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 NOM S N POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 VOC S N POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 VOC S N POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 ACC S M POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 ACC S M POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 ACC S N POS

firmativ.um          ADJ    1 1 ACC S N POS

firmo, firmare, firmavi, firmatus  V   [XXXBX]
strengthen, harden; support; declare; prove,
confirm, establish;

Yours,
Harold Holmyard