[b-hebrew] English term for Hebrew grammatical term?

YODAN yodanco at yodanco.com
Wed Oct 4 16:50:19 EDT 2006

This is the dagesh in words like eille (these), henna (hereto), lamma (why,
what for). The term used in Gesenius (#20k) is dagesh forte FIRMATIVUM. I
was hoping that there is a more "popular" term that can be
readable/pronounceable by lay people.  Do you (or someone else) know of such


Thanks and best.




The Ohs and Ahs of Torah Reading

YODAN Publishing




-----Original Message-----
From: b-hebrew-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org
[mailto:b-hebrew-bounces at lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Harold Holmyard
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 1:28 PM
To: b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org
Subject: Re: [b-hebrew] English term for Hebrew grammatical term?


Dear Rivka,


> Does anyone on this list know the English name/term for Dagesh LeTif'eret

> HaKri'ah? (literally, dagesh for the glory of the reading).


HH: If you could explain what it does, it would be 

easier to identify it with some other name.



Harold Holmyard


b-hebrew mailing list

b-hebrew at lists.ibiblio.org


More information about the b-hebrew mailing list