[b-hebrew] Kamatz katan; Ashkenazi pronunciation; was: Translating

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Wed Oct 4 14:46:45 EDT 2006

Dear Rivka,

Your words below are well taken. I would like to add one point, namely, that
the Yisraeli pointing does not agree with the MT as to which forms are
WAYYIQTOLs and which are WEYIQTOLs.

P. Kahle (1930) "Masoretens des Westens Texte und Untersuchungen zur
Vormasoretischen Grammatik des Hebräischen" published several manuscripts
with Yisraeli pointing. In his manuscript "J," which contains 82 verses
(Daniel 9:24-12:13),  there are 50 prefix forms with prefixed WAW. Of these,
40 are not pointed, and thus are not comparable to MT. Of the pointed
examples, we find 3 which are pointed as WEYIQTOLS both in J and in MT, 1 is
pointed as WAYYIQTOL both in J and in MT, but 6, which occur in future
settings, are pointed as WEYIQTOLs in MT and as WAYYIQTOLs in J. This means
that in this manuscript 60% of the forms are pointed differently from the
MT, and that number is significant.

For your information: on the basis of a study of all the verbs of MT I argue
that WAYYIQTOL is nothing but a YIQTOL with the conjunction WAW prefixed,
and that classical Hebrew has just two conjugations and not four.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo