[b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:31:43 EDT 2006

Dear Bryan:

I would really like evidence from outside of the Torah. I think there
was a large span of time between the penning of the Torah narratives
and that of Judges, and it would account for differences in language.
I do not have time right now to look anything up, but I have assumed
(I know this is risky business) that by the time of the writing of the
Judges narrative, the use of HYH with a lamed prefix had become more
standard. In the language of the Torah, the lamed prefix was not yet
used as the standard mark of change with the HYH verb.

I hope to be able to look into this later, but this is an assumption I
have worked from for a little while. Do you have any information about
HYH plus L-prefix as it may appear either in the Torah or in later
texts?

Todah,
Yonah