[b-hebrew] Num 11: 5 khaw-tseer'

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 14:07:04 EDT 2006

Jan Pieter:

On 10/3/06, JP vd Giessen (FOL) <janpieter at giessen.fol.nl> wrote:
> I have a problem with translating Numbers 11: 5: khaw-tseer' is translated as
> "leek" (Allium porrum) in many translations, but in all other occurrencies it
> is translated as "grass".
> Is there any specific botanical background why this is "leek"? Could it be an
> Egyptian loanword?
>
> Jan Pieter van de Giessen
> http://bijbelaantekeningen.blogspot.com/

A leek is an edible grass, often served as a flavoring in a soup or meal.

You are right that it is translated as grass elsewhere, but several
times it refers to grasses that are edible to animals at least.

Hence I see translators coming to this verse and the people remember
the "grasses" they ate in Egypt, would list one known for its flavor
and that it is edible.

Karl W. Randolph.