[b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

Yonah Mishael yonahmishael at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 23:32:41 EDT 2006

I would assume that the form WYHYW ויהיו in Judges 16:30 functions as
most wa-cons forms do in a narrative—that is, it establishes this as a
part of the main story line, by which the author is providing primary
information. The point is the culmination of Samson's life as a fight
against the Philistines, the loss of which caused the destruction of
even more of his enemies than the entire period of his life had
realized. This is what I get from it anyway. I don't think it
necessarily has any "becoming" associated with it.

Wouldn't it be most common by the time that the Judges was penned to
express "become" with the HYH plus the L-prefix?

Yours,
Yonah