[b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Tue Oct 3 19:36:38 EDT 2006

Dear Kelton,

Not to answer for Peter, but to support him:

I think clauses constructed with the verbal root HYH are not equivalent
to noun sentences (a.k.a. verbless clause).  In other words, I do not
think of HYH as a copula.  Rather it means refers essentially to a
happening.

On the other hand, we can't force a particular wooden translation to
work in every case of HYH.  Sometimes HYH can even refer to someone
"coming along" as in movement to a place.

Genesis 2:25 in particular would be something like this:  "They came
into being naked."

Hoping to help.

Shalom,
Bryan