[b-hebrew] Kamatz katan

Yigal Levin leviny1 at mail.biu.ac.il
Tue Oct 3 19:05:40 EDT 2006

The problem with this assumption, is the plain fact that the kamatz katan fulfills a perfectly valid function. Every vowel in Hebrew has a long and short form: Tsere and segol for E, hiriq with or without a yod for I, shuruq and qubutz for U, and also Kamatz (gadol) and Patah for A. Since the "vav" of the Holam is fairly arbitrary and does not effect pronounciation, there would have to be a symbol for the short O, to be used whenever a short vowel is called for. This is especially true of  the Hataph-kamatz. In all other cases the Hataph only goes with a short vowels - Hataph patah and hataph segol. Just as there is no such thing as a hataph-tsere, the fact that there is a hataph-kamatz shows that the kamatz is meant to be a "shorth" one.

Yigal Levin