[b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Oct 3 14:14:25 EDT 2006

On 03/10/2006 18:55, Vadim Cherny wrote:
> Are you sure? I was under impression that transliterations have -ac/-ec 2ms
> suffix, quite with a vowel.
> The difference with the MT could be explained: we just read the MT
> incorrectly. Vocalization in suffixes is trailing (like under het), not
> lagging. The Masoretes meant to read dvarac, we just erroneously read
> dvarcha. That explains absence of dagesh kal in the suffix consonant in MT:
> dvarcha rather than the expected dvar.ca with interconsonantal stop, dagesh
> kal.

Are you suggesting that the word final qamets under kaf and he (but not
other letters, I think, and only found in certain personal suffixes)
should be read before the final letter in the same way as furtive patah?
An interesting idea, but surely in falls down in that the sheva in
dvarkha/dvarakh would then be redundant.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/