[b-hebrew] Judges 16:30 - Verb with no use, MY PROBLEM!

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Oct 3 13:34:39 EDT 2006

On 03/10/2006 18:08, Chris and Nel wrote:
> ... I am so used to
> reading sentences without "to be " in them that I still can not fathom its
> purpose here, considering that without it I actually arrived at the correct
> translation without looking at the English.
>
> Now can someone be kind enough pleeeease..... to relieve me of my making a
> fool of
> myself on this board?

The distinction may be that sentences in which "to be" is omitted are
usually (always?) stative, indicating a continuing state, like English
"be", whereas those starting with WAYHIY, and here with its plural form
WAYIHYUW, indicate actions, like English "became". Thus a literal
translation would be "And the dead... became more than the dead...". The
meaning is of course "More people died... than...", an action. A
translation like Kelton's "Those who were dead ... *were* many, more
than..." is misleading because it suggests a state, a count of bodies
already dead. But in fact we have an action here, a large number of
people dying. (Dare I suggest a prototype of today's suicide bombers,
except here we have an Israelite killing Gentiles in Gaza?)

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/