[b-hebrew] Discovering the language of Jesus

Rolf Furuli furuli at online.no
Mon Oct 2 17:24:38 EDT 2006

Dear Sujata,

Are Sierra Nevada and Los Angeles English words? There can be little doubt
that both Aramaic and Hebrew were spoken in Palestine in the first half of
the first century C.E. But there is some uncerntainty whether Hebrew was the
language of
the people and Aramaic the language of the leaders, vice versa, or whether
one of the languages dominated a particular part of the country. The Aramaic
words of the New Testament cannot help us answer the mentioned questions. If
I translate a book from English into Norwegian and I find some French words
there, I probably will not translate them, since the original text is
English, and these French words have some particular effect. In contrast
with the few Aramaic words in the New Testament, which tell us little, there
is something else that may be more important. In Acts 21:40; 22:2, and 26:14
we learn that Paul addressed the crowd in the *Hebrew* language and that God
addressed Paul in the same language. Aramaic names are sometimes in the New
Testament called "Hebrew" But that is understandable if the main language
was Hebrew, since many foreign words are incorporated in any language,
particularly proper names. Some claim that hEBRAIS in Acts IS Aramaic (see
NIV), but I have never seen real evidence in favor of that. 2 Kings 18:27
distinguisches between YHWDYT and ARMYT, and Josephus make a clear
distinction between Hebrew and Aramaic. On the basis of Paul´s words I take
side with those who believe that Hebrew was the language of the people in
the first century
C.E.

Best regards,

Rolf Furuli