[b-hebrew] Translating - some elementary questions

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Oct 2 08:04:07 EDT 2006

Bob MacDonald wrote:

> I am looking at Psalm 145 verse 15;
>

> 1. (Ynei-KoL seems to have a first person singular suffix - my eye; perhaps
> it is an idiomatic plural? I notice that Gen 44:21 has the same word
> translated eyes, but the singular would give an equal sense.

HH: Bob, if you think this ways, you need to study
basic Hebrew more. The word "eye" is in the plural
and is a construct form. There is no pronominal
suffix on it.

> 2. the suffix ka seems to mean 'your' - does 'eLeYkA then mean literally
> your God?

HH: You clearly do not know enough Hebrew to deal
competently with the words. This is not the word
"God" but a preposition.

> 3. What is the grammatical role of LAHem in the sentence?

HH: Indirect object.

> 4. 'eth-'AkLAm - is this an object marker followed by an irregular plural?

HH: It is an object marker, but not a plural. It
is a singular with a third plural suffix.

> Is there an online resource for these questions? I have been using Blue
> Letter Bible and some sites that seem to derive from the same basic
> resources. I find they do not deal with all the words in the Hebrew text.

HH: You need to take a course in Hebrew, it seems
to me.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard