[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sun Oct 1 18:36:07 EDT 2006

On 01/10/2006 19:01, sujata wrote:
> Peter,
>   Thank you. Is there any other example of such usage of the word "dig/dug" in Hebrew?
>   Thanks,
>   Sujata

Maybe not. But this is where I disagreed with Karl: some words are used
in unique senses in the Hebrew Bible. According to BDB, the verb KRH is
used in the Hebrew Bible 13 times in the sense "dig", 4 times in the
sense "get by trade", and once in the sense "give a feast". Now I would
understand Karl's scepticism about this last example, 2 Kings 6:23, but
BDB (which is of course century old scholarship) supports this sense
from an Akkadian parallel. But this total of 18 examples of KRH is not
sufficient to explore the entire semantic range of the verb. There may
well be sub-senses, like my suggestion "maul", which would not be
included, or included only once, in a sample this size of uses of a word.

As a parallel to this, I note that the first 40 or so occurrences of the
word "bear" in the TNIV Bible
(http://www.tniv.info/bible/passagesearch.php) are all derived from the
verb with a meaning similar to "carry". By the kind of argument which
Karl is putting forward, in 1 Samuel 17:34 the word "bear" in the
English translation must be understood as derived from the same verb and
nothing to do with a ferocious wild animal.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/