[b-hebrew] Psalm 22:16 - daqar as pierced ?

sujata shevaroys at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 1 13:28:52 EDT 2006

I have never seen "dug" used to describe an attack by either lions or dogs. Are there any examples of such usage in English?  I am also unable to visualize an animal digging a person's hands or feet. Is this a uniquely Hebrew way of describing an animal attack?

  Thanks
  Sujata

Moshe Shulman <mshulman at ix.netcom.com> wrote:
   On the other hand if we translate literally the
way the LXX/GB saw it as 'dug', we see a similar allusion there.
'They dug my hands and feet.' This fits in quite well with the
comparisons to his enemies as dogs and lions, and their attacking him
in a digging fashion, as opposed to 'piercing' fits quite well. 'The
word 'pierce' is an exegetical translation used to support a
Christological interpretation, whereas the MT or even using the word
dug, as in the LXX/GB give similar imagery without the editorializing.