[b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re: Nun-Tav-Vet root

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Thu Nov 30 14:15:04 EST 2006

Shoshana,
I know that it is a frivolous question, and for a true believer may
even appear to border on blaspheme. The way God communicates with man
is off limits to any rational enquiry. Yet you know that as the Torah
is lifted after the public reading the congregation rises and
proclaims in unison:
  וזאת התורה אשר שם משה לפני בני ישראל
על פי אדוני ביד משה
where על פי may mean 'according to' or 'from the mouth of.'

This appears to negate the notion that Moshe lifted the tables
skyward (as I have seen with my own eyes in the movies) and God put
on them his writ with a hand of fire.
Isaac Fried