[b-hebrew] comparative historical linguistics was Re:Nun-Tav-Vetroot

Isaac Fried if at math.bu.edu
Wed Nov 29 00:17:22 EST 2006

If you carry a tag saying Londoner, then it identifies, or singles
you out, as in German: ER ist aus London. If you cuddle a poodle,
then the tag identifies you as: they ARE from London.

In Hebrew it is the inserted (infixed) personal pronouns that make
the distinction between a verb (act) and a noun (object). If they
refer to the object itself, then the word is a "noun", and if they
refer to external causative bodies (actors, agents), then the word is
a "verb".

Hebrew starts out with a root, say the root GDL or the root GML. The
root refers to a material state. I consider the root as being a
meaningful composition of uni-consonantal roots, or existence
markers. The letter L in both roots is such a marker indicating
elevation or loftiness. The sound  A is just a puff of air between
two consonants (fancifully put, its semantic field has zero measure).
Hence in speech the roots may be pronounced as GADAL and GAMAL.
The sounds U (more or less as in boot) and I (more or less as in
beet) are universal personal pronouns (possibly of onomatopoeic
origin) or markers of identity, and so are their (latter) variants O
and E.

Now, he root GDL means 'big'. In the word GDIL=GD+I+L the 'I' marker
identifies the object itself, and hence 'gdil' is a noun. Indeed,
'gdil' is an extended tassel---a big outgrowth. The word GDILI=GD+I+L
+I has two such identifiers one for the object and one for its
owner---me, and so GDILI is 'my gdil.' In the same way, GDILO=GD+I+L
+O is 'his gdil.' By the same pattern GMUL=GM+U+L is 'reward'.

In the word HIGDIL=HI+GD+I+L, which is of the Hifil, הפעיל,
paradigm, the two identity markers refers to actor 'HI' causing actor
'I' to be in the state GDL. Hence HIGDIL is a verb.
Yet, GUDAL=G+U+DAL may mean 'the thumb,' or the big digit of the
hand, or it may mean 'he was grown'