[b-hebrew] Pragmatic notions in BH grammars

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Sat Nov 25 20:04:41 EST 2006

Hi Johannes, et al.

Below is a bibliography that is neither exhaustive nor quite current,
but does give plenty of food for thought.

Niccacci's work is well-titled, i.e. it's on syntax.  But Niccacci does
describe the syntax using a pragmatically sensitive model, a view
rejected by Waltke and O'Connor's study of the same topic.  Niccacci's
work is hard to come by because it is out of print.  It is not nearly as
comprehensive as Waltke and O'Connor as it is only meant to show how the
syntax works as a pragmatically governed system.

There really is no reference grammar that comes to the task of
describing BH (or Masoretic H, if one prefers) using a pragmatic model.

I would begin with the starred items for an intermediate course.

Shalom,
Bryan

--------------------------------

Francis I. Anderson.1970. The Hebrew Verbless Clause in the Pentateuch.
Journal of Biblical Literature Monograph 14. Nashville: Abington.

______. 1974. The Sentence in Biblical Hebrew. Janua Linguarum, Series
Practica 231. The Hague: Mouton.

Ehud ben Zvi, Maxine Hancock, Richard Beinert.  1993.  Readings in
Biblical Hebrew: An Intermediate Textbook.  New Haven: Yale University.

**  Bergen, Robert, ed.  1994. Biblical Hebrew and Discourse
Linguistics.  Dallas: Summer Institute of Linguistics.

Adele Berlin. 1983.  Poetics and Interpretation of Biblical Narrative.
Sheffield: Almond Press.

Robert-Alain de Beauregrande and Wolfgang U. Dressler.  1981.
Introduction to Text Linguistics.  London: Longman.

**  Walter R. Bodine.  ed.  1992. Linguistics and Biblical Hebrew.
Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

**  _______. 1995.  Discourse Analysis of Biblical Literature: What It
Is and What It Offers.  Atlanta: Scholars Press.

John C. Colins.  1995.  “The wayyiqtol as ‘Pluperfect’: When and Why,”
Tyndale Bulletin, 46.1.

David Allen Dawson.  1994.  Text-linguistics and Biblical Hebrew.
Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.

Teun A. van Dijk.  1977.  Text and Context: Explorations in the
Semantics and Pragmatics of Discourse.  London: Longman.

______.  1979.  Macro-Structures. Hillsdale, NJ: Erlbaum.

M.  Eskhult.  1990.  Studies in the Verbal Aspect and Narrative
Technique in Biblical Narrative Prose.  Uppsala: Uppsala University.

A. Francois den Exter Blokland.  1995.  In Search of Syntax: Towards a
Syntactic Segmentation Model for Biblical Hebrew.  Amsterdam: VU
University Press.

Joseph E. Grimes.  1976.  The Thread of Discourse.  The Hague: Mouton.

Galia Hatav.  1997.  The Semantics of Aspect and Modality: Evidence from
English and Biblical Hebrew. Philadelphia: John Benjamins.

Jean-Marc Heimerdinger. 1999. Topic, Focus and Foregound in Ancient
Hebrew Narratives.  Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.

Paul J. Hopper.  1979.  “Aspect and Foregrounding in Discourse,”
Discourse and Syntax, ed. Talmy Givon.  New York: Academic.

Bo Isaksson.  1995.  “‘Aberrant’ Usages of Introductory wehaya in the
Light of Text Linguistics,” paper delivered at IOSOT at Cambridge.

Jan Joosten.  1997.  “The Indicative System of the Biblical Hebrew Verb
and its Literary Exploitations,” Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible:
Papers of the Tilberg Conference, 1996.  Leiden: Brill.

Lars Lode.  1984.  “Postverbal Word Order in Biblical Hebrew: Structure
and Function (Part One: Genesis), Semitics X.  24-39.

Robert E. Longacre.  1983.  The Grammar of Discourse.  New York: Plenum.

**  ______.  1989.  Joseph: A Story of Divine Providence. Winona Lake:
Eisenbrauns.

Christo van der Merwe.  1993.  “From Paradigms to Texts: New Paradigms
and New Tools for Interpreting the Old Testament,” Journal of Northwest
Semitic Languages, XXII

Cynthia L. Miller.  1996.  The Representation of Speech in Biblical
Hebrew Narrative: A Linguistic Analysis.  Atlanta: Scholars Press.

Miller, Cynthia, ed.  1999.  The Verbless Clause in Biblical Hebrew.
Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

Takamitsu Muraoka. 1985.  Emphatic Words and Structures in Biblical
Hebrew.  Jerusalem: Magnes Press.

**  Alviero Niccacci.  1990.  The Syntax of the Verb in Classical Hebrew
Prose.  trans. W. G. E. Watson.  Sheffield: Sheffield Academic Press.

M. O'Connor.  1997.  Hebrew Verse Structure.  Winona Lake: Eisenbrauns.

Kenneth Pike.  1982.  Linguistic Concepts: An Introduction to Tagmemics.
  Lincoln: University of Nebraska.

E. John Revell.  1996.  The Designation of the Individual: Expressive
Usage in Biblical Narrative. Kampen, The Netherlands: Kok Pharos.

Wolfgang Schneider.  1974.  Grammatik des biblischen Hebräisch.  Munich:
Claudius.

Jean-Louis Ska.  1990.  “Our Fathers Have Told Us”: Introduction to the
Analysis of Hebrew Narratives.  Rome: Pontifico Istituto Biblico.

Eep Talstra.  1978.  “Text Grammar and Hebrew Bible,” Bibliotheca
Orientalis, vol. 35.

______.  Text Grammar and Hebrew Bible, II: Syntax and Semantics,”
Bibliotheca Orientalis, vol. 39.

William Turner.  1876.  “The Tenses of the Hebrew Verb,” Studies
Biblical and Oriental.  Edinburg: Adam and Charles Black.

Wilfred G. E. Watson.  1995. Classical Hebrew Poetry.  Sheffield: JSOT
Press.

Ernst Wendland, ed.  1994.  Discourse Perspectives on Hebrew Poetry in
the Scriptures.  New York: United Bible Societies.

Ellen van Wolde, ed.  1997.  Narrative Syntax and the Hebrew Bible:
Papers of the Tilburg Conference, 1996.  Leiden: Brill.

--
B. M. Rocine
Living Word Church