[b-hebrew] Origin of the Alphabet

davidfentonism at aim.com davidfentonism at aim.com
Fri Nov 24 18:10:09 EST 2006

As you have observed, the Hebrew is regarded by many to be the "lashon haKodesh" (the holy language) which qualifies as sanctified, as you have said. I make no empirical claim except with respect to the assertion of how the tongue is regarded by many through the millenia. in addition, my poorly worded point about the alphabet should have indicated instead that the Hebrew alphabet itself connotes full meaning and symbolism individually as well as in combinatory ways that is missing from Greek/English translations of the Hebrew texts. For example, in the English, an 'a' is an 'a' and nothing more. But, in the Hebrew, each letter is assigned a number and word picture based upon ancient scripts. Thus, Hebrew words can better be understood by examining each letter used then how they correspond and relate to each other. The word "kelev," for example conveys more than just "dog" as it would be limited to in the English. "Ke" and "lev" in combination convey, as close as I can make out, 'man's best friend.' (In a related way, I think, academic denunciations of the Hebrew as 'the language of G-d' seem to be irrelevant to the historical understanding of the TNKh texts as far as the tribes are concerned.)

 Thanks for your reply, sir.

 Dave