[b-hebrew] Hayim Baltsam - Webster's New World Hebrew/English Dictionary

Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz macnietspingal at airmail.net
Tue Nov 21 14:10:53 EST 2006

I couldn't find anything about him on the web.  So I decided to read Preface
and Acknowledgements in the book.  I think this dictionary is creditable for
neophyte Ancient Hebrew buffs.  It's what it wants to be, an easier path to
translate for oneself.

It was published in 1992.  So I would ask the linguists on this list to take
the time to  comment on the acknowledgements in this dictionary.

E.g. The discussion of the "sound wisdom" here made me wonder how many other
divergencies in English definitions there exist among scholars of Hebrew.
In fact, the phrase "sound reasoning" is "heegayon baree" and "wisdom" is
"baree".  While "toosheeya" is defined as  "resourcefulness". ???