[b-hebrew] We and us

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 21 16:30:03 EST 2006

Hi Karl,

Thanks for the continuing discussion. In the next few days I'll send you
some documents...

Just a few clarifications on the below:

1. That God uses אנכי doesn't rule out politeness prima facie: God may
instead be choosing to speak politely and that's fine.

2. I don't think it's a mistake to call it grammaticalisation if
politeness is what is involved with the choice of the two forms. For
such a choice to develop, the polite form needs to have become included
at some point in the development of the language as part of the
pronominal paradigm. It would need to have changed its former usage to
now convey 1st person politeness. Since the process of change in
language is termed grammaticalisation (American "grammaticalization") in
linguistics, I do not think it is a mistake to label this a
grammaticalisation if politeness can be demonstrated. We would, I would
argue, be using correct and up-to-date terminology.

Regards,
David Kummerow.