[b-hebrew] Hebrew language and thought forms, was: "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Tue Nov 21 09:48:06 EST 2006

On 11/21/06, Peter Kirk <peter at qaya.org> wrote:
> On 21/11/2006 02:18, K Randolph wrote:
> > David:
> >
> > Whereas the Greek meaning of grace outside of the New Testament may
> > have had the meaning of freedom from the observance of the law, inside
> > the New Testament it had the Hebrew understanding of freedom from the
> > penalty of the law.
> >

> What Hebrew and Greek words are we talking about? Which words in either
> language to you consider to have this meaning "freedom from the penalty
> of the law", and on what basis? For the Hebrew, "I look for actual uses
> in Tanakh, not some speculation based on disputable theories." For the
> Greek, similarly from the New Testament but perhaps that should be offlist.
>
> --
> Peter Kirk
> E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
> Blog:    http://speakertruth.blogspot.com/
> Website: http://www.qaya.org/

Those are the questions I should have asked instead of answering the way I did.

I reacted to a theological treatise, so now I push Peter's question
back to David Fenton, what words are used? I know that the concept is
taught in the New Testament that we are free from the penalty of the
law, but that is not contained in one word, as Peter so correctly
pointed out. What is the Hebrew antecedent? Are we again dealing with
a phrase instead of a single word? Where is it found in Tanakh?

Thanks, Karl W. Randolph.