[b-hebrew] Proverbs 3:21- Sound Wisdom?????

K Randolph kwrandolph at gmail.com
Mon Nov 20 20:41:08 EST 2006

Chris:

What a word, and what a headache to figure out a meaning.

It is found only 12 times in Tanakh; Isaiah 28:29, Micah 6:9, Proverbs
2:7, 3:31, 8:14, 18:1, Job 5:12, 6:13, 11:6, 12:16, 26:3, 30:22.

As far as I can tell, its meaning is forethought, this is thinking
ahead of time concerning concepts and ideas, considering options and
making contingency plans where applicable (arranging of thoughts
possibly from שׁוה to arrange?)

It seems to have the opposite idea of לוז to entice (away) (by what
one sees), to beguile, (to take away by trickery found only in
Niphal), in other words act impulsively without plan or forethought,
also found in this verse.

Karl W. Randolph.