[b-hebrew] We and us

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 20 18:30:16 EST 2006

Hi Karl,

The discussion was sparked by my pointing out that typology would raise
questions concerning the grammaticalisation of a politeness distinction
with the BH 1st person singular independent personal pronouns, the main
functional distinction posited in the literature. Sure, OUR discussion
may have been Eurocentric, but this cannot be raised concerning
Helmbrecht: he uses typological sampling to minimise such bias and his
language sample includes over 200 languages. So I disagree with you very
strongly that the "literature displays a Eurocentric view". What
literature are you referring to?

Further, Revell's study is not completely a "statistical analysis", but
it is not wholly "speculation", either. What's your opinion of it?

Regards,
David Kummerow.