[b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Sun Nov 19 17:57:16 EST 2006

On 19/11/2006 22:25, K Randolph wrote:

> It never occurred to me that there may have been racist roots to the
> labels. You may be right.
>
> So what would you label the two different, ways of thinking? In other
> words, how do you deal with a situation where there are labels already
> in widespread use, but where you disagree with them?

> In closing, "Hebrew Thought" and "Greek Thought" are philosophical
> concepts, no more. They are not connected to language (except
> historically), ethnicity, culture or other such. I agree that the
> labels are not only non-descriptive, but they are also misleading: if
> it were my choice, I would use completely different labels. Of the
> world's religions that I have studied, only the one described in the
> Bible (both Tanakh and New Testament) uses "Hebrew Thought", all the
> others use "Greek Thought".

Karl, thank you for your response. I have to agree that "the labels are
not only non-descriptive, but they are also misleading", especially
because of their lack of relationship to language, and also because of
their links to racism. I wonder if these labels really are in as
widespread use as you think, among serious thinkers today rather than
those who prefer to rehash the work of 19th century writers and reject
most 20th century scholarship. If they really were in widespread use and
I wanted to write about this subject, I would find alternative labels,
and define them at the beginning of my work including a reference to the
more common terminology, and my reason for introducing new terminology.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/