[b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine

Yitzhak Sapir yitzhaksapir at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 18:21:17 EST 2006

On 11/18/06, Peter Kirk wrote:
> On 18/11/2006 22:03, Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> >
> > I think we agree.  This was a book.  The other side contains portions of Ben
> > Sira 4.  When understood to be folded together, these are shown to be
> > consecutive pages in a book.

By "these", I meant the two different html's of verso and recto images.
The above implies that two different leafs of the same verso or recto image
are consecutive which is not what I meant.

> By the way, the guy's name was Sirach or Ben Sirach, so why do people
> drop the final "ch"?

According to Moses Zevi Segal's The Complete Book of Ben Sira (1958), p. 1-3,
Rabbi Saadia Gaon calls him "$m(wn bn y$w( bn )l(zr bn syr)".  The Genizah
fragment T-S 16.315 containing Ben Sira 50:39 also contains this spelling.
The Syriac spells the name ")syr)".  The Greek chi is said by Segal to vocalize
the vowel letter Alef at the end of the name and provides as equivalent the
names 'IWSHX in Luke 3:26 ("ywsy") and 'AKELDAMAX in Acts 1:19 ("xql dm)").
The word "syr" means "thorn" and the surname "the thorn" is found as a
Priestly surname in the Bible (Ezra 2:61, Nehemiah 3:4, 3:21, 1
Chronicles 24:10)
and as a name of a person in the tribe of Judah (1 Chronicles 4:8).

Yitzhak Sapir