[b-hebrew] We and us

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 17 17:59:55 EST 2006

We are discussing it in this way because it has been suggested in the
literature that the choice between the forms is one of politeness. It is
the main real functional difference that anyone has suggested. This is
the reason for the discussion of politeness (other proposals in the
literature have mainly revolved around a diachronics without any
discussion of function).

The discussion of the function of pronouns in other languages has
bearing if one accepts that typology can guide to some extent analysis
of dead languages. You may not accept the typological argument and
that's fine. But even if you don't accept it, others do, and those
others see benefit therefore in discussing it. Comparing with other
languages, if one accepts typology, does get somewhere; I disagree with you.

Regards,
David Kummerow.