[b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Nov 17 16:19:57 EST 2006

On 17/11/2006 20:35, K Randolph wrote:
> A little understanding is needed here.
>
> What we are running into here are the differences between what
> philosophers call "Hebrew Thought" verses "Greek Thought". What
> follows are a few comparisons:

> Now what we have here is that, philosophically thinking, Yitzhak is
> Greek, while Harold Holmyard, I and in this case Peter Kirk are all
> Hebrew. ...

I note that Yitzhak the Hebrew is said to be Greek, whereas Harold, you
and I, all Gentiles (I think) are said to be Hebrew. That illustrates to
me the total inappropriateness of labelling these philosophical poles
"Hebrew" and "Greek". In fact they have very little to do with either
language or culture, less still to do with race. However, I think they
do have roots in a period of racism, when "Hebrew" was a label for
something considered bad and "Greek" for something considered good.
Therefore I would suggest that making distinctions with these labels has
no place on this list, or anywhere in the contemporary world.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/