[b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Nov 17 15:10:13 EST 2006

On 17/11/2006 17:42, Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz wrote:

> I KNOW with my own eyes how ancient Greek Jews thought because of the
> treatment of women in Ecclesiasticus Chapters 25 (last verses) and
> 26(beginning verses). ...

Some further thoughts about this: It took a lot of searching, but I did
eventually find the Hebrew text of Sirach online, at
http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/gopher/text/religion/biblical/parallel/27.Sirach.par.
But unfortunately 25:25,26 seem to be missing, at least from the text
used to prepare this. 25:24 apparently reads M)$H TXLT (WN WBGLLH GW(NW
YXD, understood by the translator into Greek as ἀπὸ γυναικὸς ἀρχὴ
ἁμαρτίας καὶ δι᾽ αὐτὴν ἀποθνῄσκομεν πάντες, literally "From woman
beginning of sin, and through her we die all".

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/