[b-hebrew] The Biblical politics of masculine and feminine

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Fri Nov 17 13:12:31 EST 2006

On 17/11/2006 17:42, Ethel Jean (Kowan) Saltz wrote:

> I KNOW with my own eyes how ancient Greek Jews thought because of the
> treatment of women in Ecclesiasticus Chapters 25 (last verses) and
> 26(beginning verses).  My favorite verses I used to tell Catholics what God
> told them about females:)  It's great in Spanish too:) In fact, and this is
> the truth, my mom wouldn't let me get her a Bible, but when I showed her
> these verses, she said "You can get me that Bible" and I did:)   You should
> see people when I personally show them these verses.  They do what I did.
> Made the same indignant noises spontaneously:)  Wonder how it really sounds
> in Greek to a Greek:)  This book was originally written in Hebrew.  Wonder
> how it sounds in Hebrew:)

Ethel, thank you for pointing me to these verses. I don't think I had
ever read them, so I just read them in the Good News Translation
(Today's English Version) electronic text which I happen to have open.
Here is 25:24-26:
> 24 Sin began with a woman, and we must all die because of her. 25
> Don't let a bad wife have her way, any more than you would allow water
> to leak from your cistern. 26 If she won't do as you tell her, divorce
> her.
I'm so pleased that this didn't make its way into the Hebrew Bible, and
thence into to the Protestant Christian canon (although it is accepted
by Catholic and Orthodox Christians). What a contrast with what another
Greek-speaking Jew wrote a few centuries later, quotations from the same
version:

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/