[b-hebrew] We and us

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 16 17:50:31 EST 2006

Hi Peter,

Sorry I misunderstood you, but you did say "given the decline in use of
the polite form of 'you' in many European languages". I happened to
include English amongst these "many European languages" inadvertently,
and used it as an example, while you close to use French and German as
your examples. In any case, Helmbrecht discusses both French and German
in much detail, German being his native language. Probably such a change
is predictable, given that, if you are correct here, "vous" and "Sie"
are dying in usage, unlike English "you" which was overused. I would
need to do some more reading on that, but I don't really have time at
the moment. You could chase it up if you wanted and I'd be interested in
what you find.

Regards,

David Kummerow.