[b-hebrew] We and us

David Kummerow farmerjoeblo at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 15 18:03:01 EST 2006

Sure the grammaticalisation of "you" is irreversible. It has hardly
reverted back to being a polite pronoun, even less to the earlier status
of an accusative! Rather, the form has undergone further
grammaticalisation and reduction of meaning, loosing its politeness
value through overusage. This is actually the expected pathway for the
grammaticalisation to progress (again, see Helmbrecht), and does not
point to the reversibility of the process. Your statement betrays an
ignorance of these things which further reading could help to alleviate
(again, I can supply you with the references if you don't personally
have access to such things).

Regards,
David Kummerow.