[b-hebrew] We and us

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 16:19:35 EST 2006

Hi David,

So I think we have found at least one 2nd person polite pronoun in BH.
;-) Correct me if I am wrong.  Let's just talk about this one example
for the moment.

BH 2nd person polite pronoun is the cliticized pronoun _yod_ when
prefixed to the yiqtol form *when standing for the notion 2ms* (i.e. the
polite yishma` instead of the notionally "correct" tishma` as an
expression of social distance).

Of course the next question is whether a combination of clitic polite
pronouns and stand-alone polite pronouns is attested
cross-linguistically.  Maybe not.  But maybe we have found something
close enough to satisfy the constraints of innate human language capability.

Shalom,
Bryan