[b-hebrew] We and us

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 07:49:48 EST 2006

Hi David,

Thank you for your helpful clarifications.

One minor clarification on my side:  in my post (quoted below) I
purposely avoided discussing 'adoni hammelek for the very reasons you
mention.  I focused on only the transformation from 2nd person notion
(e.g. tishma') to 3rd person surface (yishma`) and `ebed + pronominal
suffix, which has wide application.

I do accept that grammaticalization may be more rigorous than I had
realized. I am still not sure why tishma` -> yishma` would not qualify.

Thanks also for the bibliographic references!

Shalom,
Bryan