[b-hebrew] We and us

B. M. Rocine brocine at twcny.rr.com
Wed Nov 15 07:49:38 EST 2006

Hi Vadim,

Interesting.  Does "May *he* (the king) hear his slave" also exist?

I am sure you are right about the avoidance issue (which is btw,
politeness).  We're not really searching for politeness at this point in
our discussion.

David has informed us that the 'ani/'anoki contrast is not best
understood as a politeness thing.  His evidence is that such a contrast
needs, if cross-linguistic types have anything to say about it, 3rd and
2nd person contrasts as a priority to the 1st person.  I have just been
wandering around in the BH corpus looking for 2nd and/or 3rd person
politeness contrasts.

Shalom,
Bryan

--