[b-hebrew] Isaiah 53:11

Vadim Cherny VadimCherny at mail.ru
Tue Nov 14 13:19:55 EST 2006

Is53 takes on deliberately archaic speech with some turns modeled directly
upon Job. The turn in Is53:11 is an archaism.
Here is wordplay: righteous is also someone acquitted in court. Having
repented, the man would have been acquitted by court and thus justified
himself before a multitude of Jews, proving himself righteous.

http://vadimcherny.org/judaism/isaiah53.htm

Vadim Cherny

> First of all, looking at the context, the whole chapter was talking
> about "my slave" עבדי which would make us predisposed to read the word
> in this verse as referring to the person and not to an action.
> Further, if it refered to an action, the action would tend to have
> been a feminine, not masculine, noun.
>
> While an adjective usually followed the noun it modified, this is an
> example of one that preceded it. I think there are other examples, but
> I can't remember any off the top of my head. The verb is third person
> masculine singular, which argues against it being either "my service"
> or "justness", leaving us with the non-standard "my just slave" with
> the adjective preceding the noun.
>
> I'm just thinking out loud. Wouldn't mind further comment.
>
> Karl W. Randolph.
>
> On 11/12/06, kenneth greifer <greifer at hotmail.com> wrote:
> > I am just curious. Is "My righteous servant" grammatically right in
Isaiah