[b-hebrew] We and us

Peter Kirk peter at qaya.org
Tue Nov 14 12:40:06 EST 2006

On 14/11/2006 17:22, B. M. Rocine wrote:
> B-Haverim,
>
> Peter makes a good point.  In addition, we may take note of third person
> being substituted for second in BH (and English?), as in 'adoni hammelek
> substituting for 'attah.

True. But in English this usage is very rare. Although we sometimes
address people in the third person, e.g. "My Lord", it is very rare for
third person forms to continue to be used. Of course the third person
substituting for the first person is also rare nowadays, but in English
not I think quite so rare.

E-mail:  peter at qaya.org
Website: http://www.qaya.org/