[b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Nov 13 14:50:09 EST 2006

Steve Miller wrote:
> Re. Hag 2:7. I believe it should be translated "the desire of all
> thenations shall come", not "the desirable things of the nations shall
> come"because "desire" is singular. The verb "come" is plural, which I
> thinkindicates that the desire of all the nations is actually God Himself.

HH: This seems like an ad hoc explanation of the grammatical
phenomenon. J. Alec Motyer ( _Haggai_ in _The Minor Prophets_, ed.
Thomas Edward McComisky, 3:991) finds the plural verb a real hindrance
to the Messianic interpretation since the verb requires a plural
subject. He thinks we could say with GKC #145b, d that the plural verb
points to "chemdath" being taken as a collective: "treasures." Or he
thinks with GKC #124r we can suppose that, since "chemdath" is in
construction with "goyim," the whole phrase can be taken as a plural. He
does not feel that it is necessary to emend the first noun "chemdath" to
a plural as BHS suggests. Both of his suggestions are well-attested
grammatical phenomena and give better solutions to Hag 2:7 than the one
offered by Steve.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard