[b-hebrew] "Desire of Women" in Heb. Text of Dan. 11:37

Harold Holmyard hholmyard at ont.com
Mon Nov 13 11:09:31 EST 2006

Yitzhak Sapir wrote:
> On 11/13/06, Gary Hedrick wrote:
>
>>      Yitzhak, you make a good point here.  I was overstating it when I said
>> the text was "clear."  The translators appear to be divided over the
>> possible messianic significance of Haggai 2:7.  Some take it as messianic
>> and others say the prophet is simply talking about a future time when the
>> treasures of the nations would flow into the Second Temple.  But even so,
>> wouldn't such a scenario be necessarily messianic?  Isn't it in messianic
>> times that the nations will bring tribute to Jerusalem and honor Israel's
>> King Messiah?
>>

> It doesn't say the Messiah will be honored.  It says the Temple will be
> honored.  If anything, the individual honored here is the High Priest.  Speaking
> of these verses as Messianic is quite anachronistic.  Haggai doesn't even
> use the term Messiah at all, although he mentions often both the governor
> of Judea and the High Priest.  In light of that, it seems to me quite
> problematic
> to suggest that Haggai espouses a messianic point of view.

HH: A typical Jewish view is that this speaks about the second temple,
but I believe it speaks about a third temple. The imagery of a world
shaking seems too strong and divinely victorious to apply to the second
temple (although I can understand why it is assigned there, due to the
gifts of the ancient Medo-Persian kings). You are correct that there
seems to be no mention of Messiah. I like the NRSV translation:

Hag. 2:7 and I will shake all the nations, so that the treasure of all
nations shall come, and I will fill this house with splendor, says the
LORD of hosts.

HH: But nearby Hag 2:23 is understood by many Christians to use
Zerubbabel as a personage symbolizing the Messiah:

Hag. 2:23 On that day, says the LORD of hosts, I will take you, O
Zerubbabel my servant, son of Shealtiel, says the LORD, and make you
like a signet ring; for I have chosen you, says the LORD of hosts.

HH; Haggai 2:23 speaks in the same context of a world shaking that Hag
2:7 does:

Hag. 2:7 And I will shake all nations, and the desire of all nations
shall come: and I will fill this house with glory, saith the LORD of hosts.

Hag. 2:21 Speak to Zerubbabel, governor of Judah, saying, I will shake
the heavens and the earth;
Hag. 2:22 And I will overthrow the throne of kingdoms, and I will
destroy the strength of the kingdoms of the heathen; and I will
overthrow the chariots, and those that ride in them; and the horses and
their riders shall come down, every one by the sword of his brother.
Hag. 2:23 In that day, saith the LORD of hosts, will I take thee, O
Zerubbabel, my servant, the son of Shealtiel, saith the LORD, and will
make thee as a signet: for I have chosen thee, saith the LORD of hosts.

HH: The Davidic servant of God may attain prominence again at the time
the third temple is built. Yes, Zerubbabel was involved in the building
of the second temple, which was necessary and important in God's plan.
But worldly kings had already given gifts at the time of Zerubbabel
(Ezra 1:4), and Haggai is predicting some future world shaking of great
moment. Zerubbabel may simply symbolize this future time of glory for
Israel when the son of David reigns once more.

Yours,
Harold Holmyard